Thursday, May 23, 2013

Shark Bait - Cake Release Tip

I love to bake cakes and it's even more fun to decorate them. I don't do it very often because...well let's face it...my behind would be MUCH bigger if I baked and decorated as often as i'd like.

So when someone asks me to help them make a cake (or just make a cake myself) for a special event I love to take that opportunity. A young lady I go to church with is having a graduation party and wanted a big fondant covered cake for it. So i'll be doing a few Shark Baits on tips and tricks for making your own beautiful tiered fondant covered homemade cake yourself.

First is finding a cake recipe that produces a nice moist tasty cake. Here are links to the two cake recipes I used for her cake that I really love.

Yellow Cake - I used almond extract with this one for the graduation cake
Red Velvet Cake - Her school color is blue so we used blue food coloring (the Wilton gel) instead of red

Whenever I bake a cake I smear the pan with butter (or shortening) and then lightly flour it. And then I pray that it doesn't stick somewhere on the bottom. Even with great coating of the shortening and sufficient flour, I would sometimes have a small piece stick on the bottom and end up with a chunk missing from my cake.

So after a little searching and thinking I came up with an awesome trick that I can't believe I didn't think of before.



Take the pan you're going to be using and some parchment paper. Trace the bottom of your pan on the parchment and cut it out.



 You'll still want to coat your pan with shortening and dust it with flour so the sides don't stick. Once you've done that just lay the piece of parchment paper in the bottom of your pan.



When it's done baking let it cool for a few minutes in the pan, use a knife to carefully loosen the sides if you need to and flip that bad boy out onto a cooling rack. The bottom comes of perfect every time. No more worrying about chunks going missing.

Now go bake a cake and have fun. Come back and check this next week for more tips on cake decorating.


No comments:

Post a Comment