Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Craft Attack - Skirt or Dress Extender

I had a young lady that I attend church with (i'm a mormon...in case you were wondering) with a dress she loved but was too short for her. 


She needed a good 6 inches to get to a more modest comfortable length (she had a cute jacket to cover her shoulders with). So I took the challenge and did a little research. The following tutorial is what I came up with.


You will need:



The slip she bought had a slit in the side so the first thing I had to do was to sew it down further. Simple enough.




I turned the slip inside out...found the spot where the slit started and sewed down until just above the curve of the slip.



To the ironing board I went. I found it easiest to pin the lace on after slipping the slip onto the end of my ironing board. It was easier to pull the slip up slightly to avoid catching the ironing board that having the slip on the table with the back side of the slip underneath. (oh, and make sure you've turned your slip right side out at this point...you want that lace on the outside of the slip)


















Now I took the pinned slip back to my sewing machine and followed the existing stitch line from the top of the lace.







When I got to the end I just let the lace overlap about 1/4 inch. (we'll sew that down later)



 




I then went back to the ironing board to pin on the second layer of lace. 


Once I had the two layers of lace sewn, I needed to close the gap where the ends of the lace met. All I did was sew a straight line down the overlap. If you have ends that don't match up well and your worried about it you can just trim the lace a little.



 And TADA.....














Here are a few pics of her wearing it. She forgot her jacket so they are just of the dress.




What I love is that the possiblilities are endless with the skirt/dress extender. You could do black or white....or a black slip with white lace or vice versa. Or you could get crazy and find some pink or orange lace. Depending on the skirt or dress you need extended you could have a lot of fun with it and use it for several outfits.


Hope you enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment